Tökgaluska (Sautéed Pumpkin Dumplings)
Ingredients per serving
1/3 cup diced butternut
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice
salt/pepper to taste
For the spätzle:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pumpkin purée until desired consistency
1 tbsp sour cream
a pinch of cinnamon
1. Set pot to boil water with a pinch of salt. Whisk/sift together flour, salt and nutmeg. With a wooden spoon, mix in the egg and add pumpkin purée until the consistency is that of spätzle dough, or pancakes. Mix thoroughly to ensure there are no lumps.
2. Get oil and butter nice and hot on medium to medium-high in sauté pan. Throw pumpkin in and start to cook. Season with ginger and Chinese five-spice, and a pinch of salt.
3. Scoop up dough with a tablespoon and toss it/slide it into boiling water in batches.
4. Boil dumplings for a minute or two, then drain and immediately throw into sauté pan with pumpkin.
5. Cook, letting the dumplings get coated by the spices. Adjust seasoning, including salt.
6. Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with sour cream and a pinch of cinnamon, and more pepper if desired.
(tok, tokgaluska, galooshka, galushka, nokedli, dumplings, spatzle, spaetzle)