Túrós Csusza (Cheese and Bacon Noodles)
(Pronunciation: Too-roash Chu-ssah)
On the subject of comfort food, it really doesn’t get any simpler than this. This is a quick-fix, semi-tasty Hungarian dish which consists of egg noodles, túró (quark cheese, but dry cottage cheese works too), and szalonna (Hungarian back bacon, but you can use regular bacon). This can also be served sweet like a dessert if you choose to sprinkle on sugar instead of bacon. I like sweet stuff, so I prefer sugar. ＼(＾O＾)／
The fact that my tummy aches when attempting to process bacon is also a contributing factor as to why I’d prefer sugar as a topping over bacon, but I suffered through the pain just to bring you another dish from the motherland~!! ＼(^ω^＼) On the bright side bacon is tasty, so it wasn’t all that bad. (´･ω･`)
Ingredients (serves 2)
250g dry cottage cheese (or quark cheese)
150g egg noodles
4 tbsp sour cream
bacon (or 2 tbsp granulated sugar, granulated because the crunch is pleasant and emotionally fulfilling)
salt/pepper to taste
1. Throw egg noodles into boiling water with a pinch of salt. Cook for 8 minutes, or according to package instructions.
2. Cut bacon into bits and cook on a frying pan.
3. Crumble cheese finely into a bowl.
4. Set bacon aside, remove pan from heat and add cooked noodles to pan and mix it in with the cheese to warm it up but not cook it. Season with salt to taste.
(Alternatively, mix the noodles in with the cheese, sour cream and bacon in a baking pan and bake in the oven at 350F for 3-5 minutes, or just until the cheese softens. I just don’t feel like turning on the oven if I’m only using it for 3-5 minutes. ⊂((・▽・))⊃)
5. Top with sour cream and bacon bits, or sour cream and sugar. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper and/or paprika to taste.
Cooking the cottage cheese with the noodles makes the cheese go all mushy and sticky, which is why we only want to warm it up but not cook it. And since this is such a simple dish, I can’t really think of anything else to add, so don’t worry too much and just enjoy. ⊂(◉‿◉)つ
(turo, turos, turosh, chusa, chussa, choosa, choossa, chousa)