Gulyás Leves (Goulash)

Goulash soup with potatoes, carrots, and celery.

(Pronunciation: Goo-Yash Leh-vesh)

I welcome you all to feast thine eyes upon my country’s most renowned contribution to the world of cooking… Goulash. (´・ω・`)

With 95% authenticity (with the remaining 5% being the lack of a campfire and a cauldron), this recipe is both traditional and incredibly tasty. I’ve seen a lot of westernized versions of this recipe, which tend to make it more like a stew than a soup and served with regular noodles instead of potatoes or csipetke. Don’t get me wrong, they’re all good, but authenticity is always better~!!

Ingredients for ~6 servings
1.2 kilos beef chuck
2 onions
4 medium-sized potatoes
4 cups of chicken broth or water
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp balsamic or red/white wine vinegar
2 tbsp lard or peanut oil, plus another for the onions
Optional
-2 carrots
-2 stalks of celery
-other vegetables
-sour cream to serve
Seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground caraway seeds (buy them whole and grind them yourself)
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried marjoram leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 tbsp hungarian paprika
3 garlic cloves
salt to taste (if you used water instead of chicken broth)
1 bay leaf
additional salt/pepper for the pre-seasoning

Steps
1. Cut beef chuck into 1-inch squares, or big enough that you can eat with a fork.
2. Season generously with salt and pepper before adding to an oiled frying pan on high heat.
3. Sear the outside of the beef, cooking until all the pieces are brown on the outside.
4. Toss beef into a large stew pot.
5. Chop up onions into large chunks, or as big as you want them and fry them in the same pan, adding olive oil as needed and seasoning with a pinch of salt.
6. Cook on medium until slightly browned, then toss them into the stew pot with the beef.
7. Throw the ground caraway, pepper, marjoram and thyme leaves onto the pan and toast them on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
8. De-glaze the pan with the chicken broth or water, then pour that into the stew pot. Make sure you get all the spice from the pan!
9. Pour in the rest of the chicken broth or water into the stew pot, and bring the stew pot onto a stove on high heat.
10. While the broth makes its way up to a boil, add in the tomato paste, paprika, garlic, vinegar, and bay leaf. Make sure to taste for salt and add as needed.
11. Chop up and throw in your potatoes and other vegetables of your choice.
12. Bring up to a boil, then turn heat to minimum and simmer with lid on for about an hour and 30 minutes, or until beef is tender. Check doneness by poking at it with a fork occasionally.
13. Remove from heat, serve with a nice spoonful of sour cream.

Notes:
Or if you have access to a campfire and a cauldron, just throw everything into the cauldron and cook until it’s done. (´・ω・`)

(Gulyas, gulyasleves, gulyásleves)

Advertisements

About Chef Treble

Feed me weird things.

Posted on July 31, 2015, in Beef & Lamb, Hungarian, Lunch and Dinner and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: